I had some power to do good in the world. So that’s what I set out to do.
Practicing What I Teach
Both Hello Diva and my next novel, Breaking Point were written using the (now known as) Simply Self-Published method.
- Month 1 – Prep
- Month 2 – Write the Draft
- Month 3 – Rest and organize
- Month 4 – Edit
- Month 5 – Edit, Format
- Month 6 – Release the new Book Baby into the world with a big @#$ celebration (lol).
At the time (2013), I knew I wanted to share this alchemy with the world. But had very little idea on how to go about it. Fortunately, along with writing and entrepreneurship, delivering workshops is in my blood. A few Power Point slides later, it was time to take my process to the masses.
Next Thing You Know…
My first opportunity came in my home town. Through friendships I’d maintained over the years, I was able to establish a now yearly event at the Blair-Caldwell African-American Research Library (Denver, CO).
Emboldened by my win in Denver, I decided to find a way to do the same closer to my actual front door. Just so happened that a local community school (Marietta, GA) was in the market for some new class offerings. I submitted my proposal. The Coordinator liked the idea so much, she put me on the roster for the very next semester. When I found out I was also getting paid for the gig, well, there was no stopping me at that point.
Beyond the Workshop
Simply Self-Published is more than just getting you from “blank page to published”. Telling stories, sharing your knowledge or passions via the written word – this is just one way to reconnect with your authentic joy, your personal truth. It is one way I carry out the mission that’s at the foundation of all I do in my business – I want you to feel better about yourself for having known me, for having read one of my books, taken one of my courses, or signed up for one of my programs.
There is a sense of accomplishment that comes from holding that finished, self-published book of yours, in your hands for the first time; a feeling of “I CAN” that no one can take away from you. Some clients talk about relief or healing that came as well; because they were able to get the story told, they were able to release or forgive thus let go of some emotional baggage. It is for that reason, I do what I do; if just one client experiences a sense of peace from completing the process, I know I’ve served my purpose.
And That’s How Stories are Born
Okay, so truth be told, I was struggling to find my way back to my original point. This is what happens when I go with the voices and don’t allow myself time to organize and edit. Let’s see if I can connect the dots.
- Writing for me is a type of prayer / meditation – my Divinity speaks to me through my characters as a way of helping me process my experiences, heal, and live my purpose.
- I coach new writers in hopes that they too find a way to connect to their “Divinity” or authentic selves. I want others to feel the euphoria of accomplishment and fulfillment.
- The foundation of Nowata Press Publishing & Consulting is that whoever comes in contact with the business (a.k.a. Me) leaves the interaction feeling better about themselves than they did before.
Yup, that pretty much sums it up.
Thanks for sticking around to the end.
As always, sending love & light,